Form 5500 Filing Deadline is July 31, 2023 for 2022 Calendar Year Plans
Posted on June 28, 2023
We wanted to remind you that this important deadline is approaching. Below is a summary of Form 5500 and link to the Department of Labor Form 5500 online filing portal and instructions.
- Form 5500 is an annual report required by the Department of Labor and the Internal Revenue Service to ensure that employee benefit plans are being administered in compliance with ERISA regulations. Form 5500 contains information about a plan’s financial conditions, investments, and operations.
- Form 5500 must be filed by the Plan Sponsor of any fully-funded health plan covering 100 or more employees at the beginning of the plan year and Plan Sponsors of all self-insured health plans.
- Form 5500 must be filed annually by the last day of the seventh calendar month after the end of the plan year (July 31 for calendar year plans) unless an extension is filed.
- If the plan files for an extension, the Form 5500 is due two and a half months later (October 15 for calendar year plans).
- A Form 5500 must be submitted electronically. Click Here for the Department of Labor Form 5500 portal for filing and instruction.
Please let me know if you any have questions or need help with form 5500 filings for any of your clients.