Underwriting Specialist – Hauppauge NY
A prominent tristate General Agency is seeking an individual to join their Hauppauge office as a full-time Underwriting Specialist.
Candidate must be familiar with the employee benefits industry and the RFP process in particular. The position will consist of marketing both medical and ancillary lines with major insurance carriers. You will interface with carriers and clients to gather the appropriate information from employers and then help develop cost analysis presentations. For those with less experience, further training will be provided. Experience with PEO’s would be a plus. Candidates must have excellent written communication skills, as well as be detail oriented, organized, and willing to learn.
Compensation includes a base salary and the potential for residual commission.
- Gather census, claims, and plan information from current clients
- Organize and submit requests to insurance carriers
- Manage RFP process including all follow-up questions and timelines
- Build relationships with carrier sales representatives
- Begin NY State Insurance License coursework (if not already obtained)
- Gain familiarity with PPACA and common industry terms and practices
- Further training will be provided, but some employee benefits or related experience is required
- Excellent verbal/written and organizational skills
- Detail oriented and ability to reprioritize with minimal supervision
- Computer Proficiency – Especially in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- NY State Health, Life & Accident License (will need to start coursework upon hire if do not currently hold)
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or equivalent related experience